The email sent will contain a link to this article, the article title, and an article excerpt (if available). For security reasons, your IP address will also be included in the sent email.
From [HERE] and [HERE] Two New Jersey police officers involved in the fatal shooting of Barry Deloatch will not be in uniform or on the streets until a departmental review is completed, Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan said Friday. Kaplan announced Thursday that a grand jury decided not to bring criminal charges against the officers. Deloatch was killed early on Sept. 22 2011.
Police said Deloatch fled when Officers Brad Berdel and Daniel Mazan approached him and two other men on Sept. 22 because the officers said the men were behaving suspiciously. The chase ended with Berdel shooting Deloatch once, killing him. (what exactly made them suspicious? - bw)
Police said the 46-year-old Deloatch threatened Officer Mazan with a wooden board. But Deloatch’s family said he was unarmed, and prosecutors noted the officers didn’t have their police-issued batons at the time. Berdel also didn’t have his chemical spray. The bullet struck Deloatch in the left side of his body, piercing his aorta.
New Brunswick police had been silent on the incident, which has attracted the attention of the NAACP and other prominent organizations. Deloatch is black, while Berdel and Mazan are white.